Contest Objective: To encourage students at Schultz, Mahaffey, and Bernshausen Elementary Schools and elementary children within the district on how to make water conservation an active part of their daily lives.
- All students in grades K-5 who are enrolled at Schultz, Mahaffey, and Bernshausen Elementary Schools are eligible to participate.
- All students in grades K-5, who are either home schooled or attend private schools, are eligible to participate in the contest as long as they reside within the Dowdell Public Utility District. These students should submit their artwork to the elementary school where they would normally be zoned.
- The artwork must promote the 2024 Theme: Water Conservation. The theme aims to highlight the importance of how each student can make a difference, in their own way, to conserve water for the overall good of their community.
- Students are encouraged to create original, thoughtful artwork that illustrates their understanding of this year’s theme. Students can explain how water can be conserved at school, at home and in the lives of their family and friends.
- Artwork should be submitted on an 8½ x 11-inch white sheet of paper and fill the page.
- The student artist is encouraged to use bright, bold colors to create the art.
- Artwork containing promotional material (e.g., company logos, brand names) will be disqualified.
- The contest entry form must be attached with one staple (form below) to the back of the artwork and must be completed in full and signed off by a parent. Student names should not appear on the actual artwork as the art is judged blind. (The judges do not know who created the art.)
- An incomplete entry form could disqualify the student. The question on the entry form must be answered.
- All entries become the property of the Dowdell Public Utility District.
- Students may only submit one entry for judging and will be disqualified if more than one is entered.
- Entry deadlines: Students must submit the art to the designated school personnel by no later than April 5, 2024.The winners will be notified on or before April 22, 2024.
- Each grade at each school will be judged for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place ribbons.
- All first-place winners will be judged for the best of school.
- The three best of school winners will be judged for First Place: Best in Show, Second Place Overall Winner and Third Place Overall Winner. The best in the show will receive an award and a gift card worth $250. Second Place Overall will receive an award and a gift card worth $125. Third Place Overall will receive an award and a gift card worth $60. The gift cards will be issued from either Michael’s or Hobby Lobby.
- The winning artwork will be displayed on the Dowdell Public Utility District’s website.
- The winners of the contest will be notified and will receive recognition at a special awards ceremony on Monday, April 22, 2024, at the Klein Multipurpose Center, and later at a regular meeting of the Dowdell Public Utility District.
Questions? Concerns? Please contact Dowdell Board member Allison Copony at: firstname.lastname@example.org